Feb 27, 2008

Toll Workers Stipped of Arms. Toll collectors were ARMED?

Rethinking every time I didn't have correct change or put the transceiver in the wrong car accidentally, I was shocked to read this story about the Massachusetts toll workers first losing their sidearms, and second that they HAD sidearms!
“It’s absurd,” said state Sen. Steve Baddour (D-Methuen). “The last time I saw a toll taker carrying a gun was when Sonny got blown away in ‘The Godfather.’"
First off, I can imagine why the Local 127 is fighting this change in policy. According to the article, employees were carry .38-caliber handguns to protect themselves while transporting cash from toll booths to a central holding facility. I can imagine this happens at all hours of the day, and there isn't exactly any support or other security. Granted, who wants to rob bags of change? But if you knew how much those tolls collected - it might be enough of a target for some stupid meth-head. That is, if they had enough money to get on the toll way in the first place.

The opposition to the armed toll collectors stems from the fact that these workers haven't had formal training. And frankly, if they allow them to carry after a formal gun safety course or certified police-styled training, then I support their decision.

In the meantime, I will redouble my efforts to have correct change at the booth, and will smile politely when I drop my contribution to the toll collector pension fund. (link-o to story-o)

No comments: