Nov 16, 2007

US of MLB

When I found this, I at first chuckled. Then I, of course, began to critique it.

Feel free to click on it to make it pop up more bigger.

Right away, I looked at the White Sox territory and also the vast unincorporated areas, and Florida, and wondered if the map maker was lazy or being funny.

Having spent time in Florida, I'm pretty sure the locals are unaware of the sport. Perhaps there were a couple fans here and there, but after the Marlins won the series, there wasn't a lot of merchandice in the grocery stores. And, yes, crap in the grocery store is how I judge the fan base of any given city. In Florida, they could be cricketers for all the team spirit lacking in the local Snack Shacks. Let's face it, if you're not selling disposable Bic lighters with a team logo sticker on it, or a T-shirt with proclaiming your first baseman's greatness - your town doesn't care. If you visit Chicago, please stop by our many Jewel foods and marvel at the mounds of Cubs/Sox/Bears wear... and we haven't won shiznit.

And speaking of - the map above doesn't take into consideration all the Chicago transplants around the country, or the poor souls who have WGN Superstation and adopted the team. I guess in that unincorporated area, if your choice is the Cubs or the Braves, they've just opted out? Highly unlikely.
And looking closely at the Yankee territory, I know that's just filling in spots. I don't know anyone in Buffalo pulling for the Yanks.

So then I found this - (link to the site)

This is an actual accurate map of fan affiliation due to scientific surveys and what not.

I encourage you to goto the link. There you can select a 'circle' of 'mile radius' and see what fans live in the area of the circle you place on the map.

Someone in Chicago is a Nationals fan, for instance. See - learn something new everyday. Must live in the mental ward... but THIS map is accurate....-er. Still big gaps, but it looks more like a bad disease than draped on team logos.

Oh - Bonds was indited or somejunk. I think I might have discussed that for the entire last mufuggin' year! Please feel free to search for what I already might have said about it.

No comments: