Mar 26, 2008

March Madness

It's almost time for more March Madness. Last week's action was outstanding, a good mix of upsets and wild endings. Kansas and North Carolina steamrolled through the first 2 rounds, while Memphis and UCLA struggled a bit. To use the catchphrase from Rock of Love with Bret Michaels, 12 more teams tour will come to an end after this weekend. Here's my analysis of the Sweet Sixteen.

Let's start in the South. Memphis(Dead Team Walking) should sneak past Michigan St, but it wouldn't shock me if MSU pulled off a mild upset here. Memphis can't make free throws to save their lives and we all know that good guard play and making free throws is key to a deep tourney run. In the other game I like Texas over Stanford. Then Texas to move on to the Final Four, regardless of who they play in the 4th round. Did I mention these games will be played in Houston, yea I like the Longhorns chances of advancing.

Moving to the East. North Carolina is dominating and will shove Washington St. aside. The other game, Tennessee and Louisville intrigues me more. The Cardinals are playing well right now and the Volunteers have struggled and Lofton has a minor leg injury...no injury is minor at this stage. Louisville will advance, then fall to the mighty Tar Heels.

Next up is the West. UCLA almost tripped up last weekend, but I expect them to rebound against Western Kentucky. UCLA freshman Kevin Love looks like a combo of Vanilla Ice and Kevin Federline. ICE ICE BABY....TOO COLD! The other game perplexes me, but I see Xavier getting past West Virginia...could go either way. I will stick with my original pick of UCLA in the Final Four, but I wouldn't be shocked if they piss their pants at any point this weekend.

Finally the Midwest. Kansas will keep on keeping on vs. Villanova. Wisconsin will end Davidson's dream season with their mix of defense and sound fundamental play. I like Kansas to advance on to San Antonio, sorry Bucky Badger!

So I still like all of my Final Four picks to advance. Carolina, Kansas, Texas and UCLA...will stay in this tourney and keep rocking my world? That joke was lost on you if you haven't seen Rock of Love. Anyway, that's it until next week when I preview the Final Four and pat myself on the back for getting all 4 correct.

J from Chicago
(c/o Cap'n)

No comments: