Oct 29, 2007

Mediocre Purchase


The Consumerist is reporting a story that a Best Buy (Mediocre Purchase) customer recently purchased a hard drive only to discover that the box contained six ceramic bathroom tiles instead of the Western Digital drive he had expected. The rub of it is Best Buy is refusing to grant a refund or exchange for the non-existent drive.
"The employee and assistant manager were more than willing to help, saying that it happens. So they set up the return and I repurchased the drive and while I was checking the contents to ensure it was a hard drive this time, the store manager came up, took the box from me and said to take it up with the manufacturer. Now to my surprise, I argued with the guy saying that they have already accepted the return and I have now purchased the new one. He said I was sh*t out of luck. I followed up with the manufacturer today and they said they would get the complaint to the Best Buy Purchasing department. Best Buy corporate said that they stand by their manager's decision."

I got the impression he bought the second drive from Best Buy. He should return that as well, and let American Express or his credit card deal with these issues.

The obvious thing I'm supposed to write for everyone:
When a store screws you, ensure they never see your dollar again. Don't keep shopping there! And when they do - go to the internets to tell others. This post brought to you by Circuit City.

Upon further review - Either Best Buy got a bum return from someone who had a shrink-wrapper and didn't double-check, or this guy's straight-up bullsh*tting them.
Either is believable.

Oddly enough, I bought a box of tiles a Home Depot and it contained a damn hard drive.

No comments: