Mar 3, 2006

Windy City Tragedies

The Chicago sports scene has been having it's issues the past couple of years. I, being a Chicago sports have had more ups and downs the last few years than the American Eagle. With the Bullies being in a constant growth state and the Hawks, well they just suck I have turned my attention to pre-season baseball which started yesterday with a 8-7 Cubs win over the Oakland A's. I know that nothing is decided in pre-season (although Pie had a 1-2 game and looked sharp out there) but it allows me to enjoy baseball before the annual Cubs collapse.

I looked up the starters and lineups for today's game against the Mariners and guess who is the starting pitcher today for Seattle? Jamie "freakin'" Moyer! Why would that surprise me you ask? Well, Mr. Moyer started his career as a Cub. In 1986. Teammates at the time included Chris Speiers (now a coach for the Cubs), Shawon Dunston, Rhino, Davey Lopes (now 61), Sutcliffe, and the youngest member of the team, Greg Maddux. I thought the dude was dead. Or announcing for some team like the Devil rays that I would not come in contact with.

Just something I noticed. As for the Tragedies, here is the state of all of our sports teams according to Uno Efe, prognosticator.

Cubs: I do not disagree with anything that Hendry has done in this off-season. I would have liked to have another starting pitcher in there but apparently I am the only one that thinks our starting rotation may be a little injury prone. I am sure that Kerry, Mark, and Greg will all pitch complete seasons but in case I would have grabbed lefty Barry Zito in a trade. Just me.

I also would have ignored the calls for Dusty's head. I know that he is not the greatest manager but to change him is to change the staff around him and some players that each coach feels he wants. This team is getting older and is in a win now mode. I like the addition of the relievers and Juan Pierre and if we had them last year we would have really had our hearts broken with the extra wins bringing us merely a game out of the wild card. This year will be just that, me thinks. Just short. Hence, I wanted one more starter.

Bulls: Excellent young team no matter what the record says. We are two years and a few moves from a Detroit type dynasty. I am not kidding. After this year we will get the Knicks first round pick, another of our own and many millions of cap room. No where but up from here. I would like them to make up the 3 games that we are behind and sneak into that 8th spot to get our asses kicked by Detroit in round one. That would help, I think.

Blackhawks: So sad. We were once a team to be envied. Most post seasons in a row. The best jersey in all of sports. Now, we are terrible. I mean terrible. I thought the cap would help "Dollar" Bill play with everyone else but 'twas not be. For the first time I am glad they don;t broadcast the games, it would make me kick the dog.

Bears: Oh boy, give them a year or two and we will RULE THE NFL!!! Best D. in the league. Most excitable team in the league. If Grossman can play we are gold. If he can't, we will buy someone. Repeat after me, Drew Brees.

Fire: They got robbed in the semi-finals last year. They should have been in the championship game and they are not very good on paper. Now, with a new stadium and a few good signs they should be right back in it. I will admit sadness that they no longer play at Soldier. I loved going to the games and sitting in the Cadillac club for $20. I went there for my birthday. My name was on the scoreboard. That was cool. I pretended it was a Bears game.

Machine: Yes, it's true. This year we have a Major League LaCrosse team. I know nothing about them but I do love the sport. I will be at some games and will report after.

Rush: Not a bad team but it is only Arena-ball.

Sky: Goddamn WNBA. What a waste of summer. I have had an idea that would make the WNBA very, very profitable. Outdoor games. Look if you are going to watch the WNBA you might as well be outside and enjoying the summer. Maybe have different court types like tennis. In Chicago, asphalt. In LA, clay. You get the drift.

Anyway, that is my quick breakdown of the scene here. And remember Cubbie fans, next year is here! Did I forget someone? ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX!!!! Nice ring to it, huh? Wouldn't a repeat be fun?

Good luck with another 77-85 campaign. Not that anyone will notice.