Mar 28, 2006

Ribot 101 and Ciao CT

My parents sold their house in Connecticut. Kind of sad. Kind of not. I will no longer have an excuse to take a trip into NY city. The saddest part, really, will be the lack of Marc Ribot. He seems to play in New York approximately 95% of the time.

If you don't know Marc Ribot he is the guitarist that out-played Keith Richards on Raindogs. He has played with Costello, Zorn, The Lounge Lizards and a bunch of wacky jazz-like guys in NYC. He had a Cuban band for a while called Los Cubanos Postizos (the prosthetic Cubans) that had two great albums, Muy Divertido and Los Cubanos Postizos. he is also known for his band Shrek which was pre-movie. This was a combination jazz, punk, blues, sound effectsy thing. His best album in this genre being A Yo I Killed Your God. Good stuff if you're feeling like something different than you have ever heard.

I did get to see him at the Old Town School of Folk Music a few weeks ago so maybe there is hope I can still see him. The show was awesome! He plays a guitar with an amazing lack of respect, humor and excellence that I have never seen in a real musician (No offense Sid). During the OTSFM show at one point he crammed a pen between the neck and the strings at somewhere in the neighborhood of the 10th and 8th frets. While he was keeping a "bluesy" kinda riff going with only the fingers on his left hand, he alternated between playing the strings before the bridge and the strings where they dangle after the nut. Y'know, the area they hang out on at the end. Then suddenly, he started stomping on balloons that had kinda been laying around on the stage while moving the pen down the neck.

At this moment two odd things happened somewhat simultaneously. I was under the impression that this was sort of an ad-libbed piece. An improvisational jam, if you will. As the balloons were stomped I heard an odd half-snort / quarter-snore / quarter startled throat noise from my wife, to my left, who had been rudely awakened by the balloons popping. I glanced subtly to my right to the artsy-fartsy girl who was telling me pre-show about seeing Marc in NY. I was hoping she did not notice the noise my wife had made. She didn't. She did, however, noticed my glance and said, "This is my favorite song on his new album."

Now I own the new album. I have listened to it three more times since the show and can not figure out if this chick was full of shit or if I simply do not understand my favorite guitarists work. Maybe there is another album . . . One way or another I cannot find this song. If I do, I am sure it will sound identical to the live version.

I get carried away talking about him so I will wrap it up with a few things to get you on your way before I get back on mine. There is an on-line show with Marc here if you would like to hear a smattering of his work. He also punks out some Masada stuff (Jewish music) that is very different. I don't think I get it and I don't think it is because I am not Jewish. I digress

Anyway, my parents are off to NC. Asheville to be exact. I believe that this not too far from Bubba. Is this true Bubba? If it is do you want a guest this September? I won't run a million mile marathon, however, I will drink a two mile one. Anyone else in this area? I'm game. I am trying to do anything to avoid high school reunions or walking around goddamn Westport, CT by myself. West Coast? Word up if you want a rambler onboard. I will bring the music.

No comments: