Jun 27, 2006

Summer of Music

Posts have been scant recently. It is my summer of music. So far I have witnessed Joe Jackson (excellent), Ray Davies (one of three and out-f'in-standing), English Beat (alright), among others. I should probably start typing up some reviews so y'all can decide if you would like to see some of these musicians for your own self. But I have not.

Thursday I leave for Summerfest. On the agenda, Elvis Costello with Allen Troussaint and the Imposters, Keane, Tom Petty, David Lee Roth, Ray Davies (again), Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Lewis Black (OK< so he's not music), Alice Cooper, and many more. August I am off to Lollapalooza. That will be a whole separate post. So let's discuss some of these acts that I am about to see before they happen and then I will let you know if they lived up to expectation.

Elvis Costello:He is with Allen Troussaint, the New Orleans blues / jazz / pop guy who was one of the folks stuck in the Superdome after the flood. There new album is good but not really new. They do a lot of there old solo stuff together new. The Imposters back them up. They are the Attractions without bassist Bruce Thomas who wrote an autobiography bad-mouthing Elvis. Not a good way to keep a job. I am sure that Steve Nieve will be in heaven as this concert should feature a lot of his piano playing. One of the shows I most look forward to.

Keane: Not tremendously excited to see them but have heard that they have a very good live show. Hey, it's included and free. And there's always the chance that I may need to be reawakened after Elvis.

Tom Petty: Classic rock idol. Probably going to die soon. Should see him before that happens. Hopefully we will hear more old Refugee era than Freefallin' era but beggars cannot be choosers.
David Lee Roth: This son of a bitch puts on a show! Last time I saw him was at Summerfest and it was great. He knows what side of the bread to put the jam on. Last time there was one new song and about twelve VanHalen songs. Now that he is older he looks like Phyllis Dyller and there are a variety of things that are not the same about him. He still jumps around but only about two inches in the air. He still screams and wails but he gets winded. He still chats up the ladies in the crowd but the reaction is more of shock than awe. But you go home satisfied. He sounds more like VanHalen than Halen does. Apparently, there is a whole generation of kids that can imitate Eddie VanHalen but not many that can imitate David.

Ray Davies: The highlight of the show for me. He is awesome. Has a little bit of the Brian Wilson syndrome where he doesn't like people but tolerates them once a decade. This is it. I saw him at the Vic and Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, he still has it. Bring paper plates, too. If you write a song and toss it up there, he will play it. Seriously, there are songs that he has not thought about in forty years that he whips out effortlessly. If you have a chance he will be in Grant Park on the fourth. Check him out.

Alice Cooper: Some guy on the SmussyOlay site claims that he lipsynchs. I pray to God that this is not true. I don't expect many theatrics and I hope to hear as few songs as possible after 1982.

Well, I will try to update but no promises. If anyone is interested in guest posting (Steve?) let me know and I will hook you up.

No comments: