Mar 12, 2009

Gun Control: Not saving anyone

A gunman dressed in black shot to death more than a dozen people at his former school in Germany -- seven years ago. Yesterday, the horror was repeated.

Twice since the 2002 massacre, Germany tightened its already strict gun control laws. In 2007, the European Union banned minors from owning guns except for hunting and practice under direct adult supervision, and it restricted adult gun ownership to those deemed by government to be no threat to public safety.

None of it worked.

Wednesday's mass shooting was the third by a German teen since the 2002 Erfurt shooting. Tougher gun control laws have done nothing.

Of course, on the same day as the German massacre, a gunman in Alabama killed 10 people - mostly his family members. Most Americans have responded with reactionary and usual (almost customary at this point) calls for more gun control.

Again - the issue is that both these shooters were Nuts - I mean CRAZY! And that's the problem...
"If people realized how weak our system is in terms of background checks for people who are dangerously mentally ill, they would be shocked," Helmke said. "It's clear that there could be another Virginia Tech killer buying a gun today, and there's nothing that can be done about it."
- Virginia Shooting post "Gun Nuts"s
I morn for the dead. Let's not disgrace their tragedy with pointless talk of gun control - again - shall we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Everyone laughs at me. No one recognizes my potential. I mean this seriously. I have got a weapon here and tomorrow I am going to go to my former school and give them hell.

"Maybe I would escape, keep your ear to the ground. You'll hear from me tomorrow morning. Just notice the name of the place, Winnenden. Don't say anything to the police."

The youth who was reading the comments didn't take the message seriously, Rech said, and responded "TLL," which translates to "laughing out loud," or "I'm splitting my sides with laughter."

"I need to see some pictures before I believe it," the teenager added

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/12/germany.school.shooting.women/index.html?eref=rss_topstories