Jun 4, 2008

Don't Steal the LORD's Metal

The owner of a machine shop where thieves stole $3,000 worth of scrap steel, iron and aluminum wasn't going to let it happen again. After Saturday night's theft, Joseph Lord loaded his shotgun and laid low, expecting the thieves to return. They came back on Tuesday, in broad daylight.

When Lord saw their 2008 F-250 pickup truck, he shot out its tires and windshield and blasted its radiator, Kennebec County Sheriff Randall Liberty said.

The startled thieves took off on foot, but investigators quickly tracked down the truck's operator, who will be charged with theft, Liberty said. Charges are pending against an accomplice, the sheriff said.

Liberty said he discourages the use of guns to protect property. In this case, Lord told investigators he wanted to disable the vehicle so the criminals couldn't escape.

"I can understand the frustration that Mr. Lord must have been experiencing," Liberty said. But, he added, "We don't want to see anyone get hurt over property."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to backtrack on my wonderful record of stating that guns are for cowards and f**king psychopaths, but

DUDE.

Why do the cops all ways pack heat then? The fact that "vigilantes," for lack of a more eloquent term, are often lambasted for protecting themselves, others, and their own hard-earned belongings from someone who has chosen not to achieve in life is really asinine.
If someone threatened me or mine with bodily harm I would indeed pound them unconscious, and if they tried to take my stuff I'd beat them to their knees.

Law enforcement can claim to "protect & serve" all they want, but I'll do what I must to preserve life, liberty, and property. But since I'm so cool I won't need some pussy-ass shotgun when I have these two Colt Pythons thanks to superior Polish breeding.