Jun 19, 2008

Change Sucks

What a day it has been.

The theme of the day has been "Change"

Let's change our mind. Let's change what's going on. Let's change the direction. Let's surprise you with a new time for that thing we were supposed to do later, that you already moved your schedule around, after we talked about it for 40 minutes when I didn't have 40 minutes to be your logistics officer -- turns out it doesn't matter, because you came 2 hours earlier than we just talked about...

Change, my friends, sucks.
First a customer has changed their mind on a project I'm working on. It hasn't been canceled - not yet - but it's been groupthinked to near death by a committee of people trying to cover their asses and make sure their dirty inky finger smudges are on the project as an official "contributer" to the "process." Glad I worked on that budget and schedule all last week. Really glad I was kept up-to-date with all those grand new thoughts and budget trimming you were talking about. Thank you. Really extra plus happy that I can't charge you for changing a project that hasn't even been approved yet. That's excellent. Let's also change my attitude about working for you pukes.

Second, the family reunion of The Cap'n's is supposed to be happening sometime soon. It's at a completely inconvenient time - and on a Friday - four states away. I'm really looking forward to it. Meanwhile, powers and forces beyond my control are moving things, and spreading logistics to 4 corners... things like "do you mind picking up suchansuch in Iowa on your way through Ohio?" -- Did you flunk geography class? Yes. I DO mind driving 5 hours out of my way to get that slug - then 5 hours back to where I started. Never mind the gas!
"Oh, if it's too much trouble, then we're not going either." And then they changed their mind three more times after that discussion.

Then there's life here at the Cap'n's houseboat. Little changes around the domestic world are compounding with the other stuff. The fuse is short. And any small change causes a feedback loop in my tiny little mind. Then it all shuts down. Worst of all I had to put on a shirt to see what it "looks like." Which really means, how much of a slob do you look like in this NEW shirt? So at one point in the day - I literally had to change.

Then I have a guy picking up or dropping off some crap - and I can't remember which at this point - but I had to talk to him for about 40 minutes about how our schedules would synch up. We finally decided that I'd go over by his place - at 9:00. He calls at 7:00 saying he's about to pull up to my house. I don't know about you, but when you plan something, have a detailed conversation about that something - and it involves time- don't you want the other party to STICK with that long discussed detailed plan? Me too -- now after all this I'm just another jerk-off blogger bitching about my day instead of showing funny pictures and complaining about stupid shiznit that happened to other people.

Bottom line - Why does everyone want to change all the damn time? Change is challenging Change is disruptive. Change is damaging. Change sucks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

When I took my new job, was all about spouting the false mantra "change is good. I am open to change."


Actually, so far, most of the changes have been for the better. My salary changed, in the positive direction. My budget increased by a factor of ten. Of course, the demands put upon me changed as well.

We are changing the galley to be all catering-industrial complex compliant. Currently, this means that I wash my dishes in a room other than where I keep them, my food is in yet another space, and I have absolutely no way to prepare food except to bombard it with microwave rays.

Not getting paid for the changes somebody makes verily doth suck.

Of course, there's the salary game.
Hey! I made $300/hr today!
Hey! I made $3.00/hr today. Wait....

Make sure you change your fuses regularly to prevent fire hazards.

Anonymous said...

Turn and face the strange
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

Anonymous said...

Sure....pull of Bowie....make me feel all pedestrian and prolix.

Thanks Mr. Mous.
Sheesh!