Aug 14, 2006

Rockabye Baby!

It's been a while. I am a new father.

I now understand the secret parental code.
When a parent says to you, 'the baby was up all night' directly translates to: 'She was screaming at the highest pitch known to man… all night'. Great if you’re a bachelor trying to impress the neighbors. Not so much for just about any other reason.

So in my travels as a new father, I was given this website today - the Rockabye Baby! Albums.

At first glance, I thought, 'how cute'. However, a much more disturbing thoughts and image began to surround my clouded brain. Yes, that's the Beatles and also the Beach Boys. Uh, Nirvana? Metallica?? Pixies?!

Led Zeppelin?

Tool?
Queens of the Stone Age? Hold on a tick here!

Okay, fine, you had me at the Cure. Some would say the Disintegration album could be used as a substitute for Ambien. But Misty Mountain Hop as a lullaby? And of course there is no sample track of this one. I recommend you try the other ones. The link is provided on the post.

There are many sample tracks to discover – and marvel at the simple ease in which Brain Damage by Pink Floyd transforms into cooing baby music box tunes.

I will be buying all of these soon.

And my hope is that when my daughter experiences these albums and artists out of my collection – by either laughing at the large format Compact Disk, or the dusty old iPod – she’ll first sit and wonder. She’ll recognize these tunes, and perhaps transport back to her earlier days. Her days of simple comforts; simple needs. She will be mesmerized by the tunes that she cannot quite remember, but are on the tip of her brain.

That’s when her old man will smile calmly. A bonding moment will exist between the two of us, that she might never understand…

…or I’ll swipe that Doolittle album out of her grubby hands and shoo her off of my dusty old college collection!

“Get away from there! Don’t you have any idea what that’s worth?"

No comments: