Jul 27, 2006

While Rome burns . . .

Well, I think I am back. Good news (for me) to be revealed shortly. Until then let us take a quick look at an article I read from Reuters and analyze the piece. First some background:

As we are all aware World War Three is about to break out in the Middle East. As Killre calls the current scenario "the first inning of WWIII." As the US is wont to do we sent our Secretary of State to go over to Rome and warn half of the parties (Lebanese) involved to cut it out. So our SoS went over to Italy (well she wasn't going to risk her life in Beirut) and without removing her sunglasses from the top of her head managed to, well, I'll tell you when I figure it out.

Next stop, Israel. There was a key quote from Ehud Olmert (Israel's Prime Minister) where he stated:
“Israel is determined to carry on this fight against Hezbollah. He said his government “will not hesitate to take severe measures against those who are aiming thousands of rockets and missiles against innocent civilians for the sole purpose of killing them.”
Then Israel bombed Lebanon killing upwards of 400 civilians with, uh, rockets and missles. This may or may not be a good tactic. I always thought that we should have bombed the shit out of Kansas City after McVeigh blew up the Alfred P Murrah Federal Building. But I digress.

Next stop, MalaysThisthis is where we get back to the article that started this rant off. The article states:
In keeping with her mood and to reflect the world crises she tackles daily, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice plans to play a somber piece of music to her Asian colleagues in Malaysia this week
You see, music soothes the savage beast. What better way to curb the tides of war than with a piano recital. She chose a Brahms piece because, well let me let her explain it.
"It is not a time that is frivolous. It is a serious time. I will play something that is in accordance with my serious mood," said Rice
Her serious mood. People dying is maybe not the time for a Spike Jones song. As the article states, "Rice said she would not be comfortable singing show tunes." The next line of the article?
"I trust my piano playing more than I trust Karen's singing," joked Rice, referring to her public diplomacy chief, Karen Hughes, who is also in Kuala Lumpur. Hughes quickly shot back: "She's right, I can't even hum."
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. What a sense of humor on that broad! Oh my sides! Good times; good times. It does seem only appropriate, however, that after her trip to Rome she would want to play the piano. I mean we all do remember the story of Nero. The difference is that he blamed the Christians.

No comments: