Jul 7, 2006

Ray Ray

I have now seen the man, Ray Davies, three times this year. I am sure that we all agree that the Kinks were the best British Invasion band of them all. Better than Herman's Hermits, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Dave Clark Five, Beatles, Stones, or those dudes that did the "Freddie." Ray is the greatest lyricists ever. Let's name some, eh? 20th Century Man, Sunny Afternoon, Alcohol, Dedicated Follower of Fashion, You Really Got Me. OK, the last one is a joke but a classic song.

The first time I saw him this year was at the Vic. A small venue that fit very well with what Ray is up to. This was by far the best show. He played for over two hours. At one point, audience members wrote their favorite songs on paper plates and threw them on stage. Ray would pick up a plate read the song title and then play that song. It was amazing how well he still knew B-sides to 1964 singles. He rocked! The new album is good but live it was fantastic. Almost every hit was played and only 6 songs off the new album.

Next, I saw Ray at Summerfest in Milwaukee. Again, fantastic. He stuck more to known songs like All Day and All of the Night. In a rare concert moment I saw an actual encore. Normally, the venue will leave the lights down and we cheer and the act comes out and plays another few songs. This happened in Milwaukee too. But after the encore the lights came up and the crazy cheeseheads would not stop chanting for Lola. BTW, Ray hates that song. After five or so minutes, he came out with the band and played the song for them. I'd say us but I was screaming for Alcohol. The song and the beverage.

One of the things I enjoyed about Summerfest show was that he was able to flex his mighty arena rock muscles. Cranking out Low Budget era rock was fun to see. I had seen David Lee Roth the night before and Ray can out-jump, out-sing, and out-rock the former Van Halen front man. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but a 50 year old should out rock a 63 year old. Maybe it's just me.

Finally, to Grant Park for the Fourth of July. Horrible. So sad. People didn't seem to know who he was. They didn't like the thing he does with You Really Got Me. On this song he explains that this is how he heard it in his head and plays a little blues riff that he sings over. Then he explains how he explained the song to Dave (his brother) and then Dave played that da-dadadada da dadadada all grunge-like. It's amusing. Unless you are paying 6 tickets for a beer. Or doing your ticket to beer conversions. Very sad. If you went to Taste, ignore this show. See him where he is appreciated as the genius that he is.

A final note. I find it tremendously amusing to watch a crowd of hundreds all sing along, "I'm not like everybody else."

If you are unawares of the Kinks or Ray Davies, but Muswell Hillbillies. Run, don't walk and grab this masterpiece.

2 comments:

raging bull said...

The Kinks are perhaps the most underrated band in history. I wouldn't place them ahead of the Beatles but their influence is nearly as great. Punk rock started with "You Really Got Me", which was followed up with "All Day and all of the Night", and the Who's "My Generation", which was never topped by a punk single in the seventies.

One F said...

"God save the queen"
"White Riot"
Some 70's punk gems.

Also give some kudos to Neil Young's "Mr. Soul" which was the first real noisy song.

I am also willing to play a game with you, Mr. Bull. You name a great Beatles song and I will follow with a Kinks. Rules are that they have to be originals (no Kansas City), only two songs per album maximum, a "foul" can be called where we go to the audience to decide if the song is "great." I know you have an advantage because more people are familiar with the Beatles but I would be more than up to the challenge.

Option #2: you give five songs, I give five songs. We then write a brief why about each and send it to the audience. Let them decide who wins.

It's up to you. And it might make people listen to some Kinks music which would do them good.

F