Apr 27, 2010

Blasphemes Exclusive Special Report: TMI

In a moment of clarity (I ran out of booze) I have compiled this special report about a website called Spokeo. Spokeo is an online phone book that has YOUR personal info: a picture of you, your house, your credit score, your profession, age, how many people live your house. In my case, it wasn't too interesting - but if some hot babe were trying to stalk me - she would have found where I dock the boat. Worse, an ex-girlfriend collection agent or someone who doesn't like the goofy crap I write on this here blog could have come knocking on ole' Cappy's door.

If you would like to remove yourself, find the Privacy button on the very bottom right. Copy and paste the url from their own site. Then go to your email as it instructs, and click the link to complete removing yourself and family from its pages. I suggest you also take off your computer illiterate family members, such as your grandmother and elderly aunt - but it will only "allow" you to take off a few at a time in one day, which pissed me off to no end. Even with additional email addresses. Until I can hit it again, I know that my Aunt Tilly is still vulnerable.

Yes, I know all this information about all of us is floating out there. Yes, I open myself up on a semi-regular basis. Yes, I have a Twitter account -- even though I think I only have about 2 spam-bots following me -- but it's the idea that all that info is being brought together in one neat little package. And that's the free side! I can imagine what kind of juicy bits there are for the paying customer?!

Look, maybe it's harmless? But maybe, just maybe, a few folks out there still value their privacy and don't want this information in a neat little package?

So what is it?

Spokeo is people search service that specifically uses social networking sites for details about people. One of Spokeo‘s target audiences is HR Recruiters, who can use Spokeo to get details about job candidates that they may have a hard time getting through a traditional online search. One of the site’s slogans is “Explore Beyond the Resume”. As if the drug test wasn't enough for these people?

Oh, and if you think you’re safe from Spokeo, think twice. It allows people to do in-depth web searches across more than 40 sites, including Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, Linkedin, Picasa, LiveJournal, Friendster, hi5, bebo, YouTube, Photobucket, Amazon, xanga and many more. And you thought the Facebook 'like' button was intrusive?

Again, this should be a wake up call, not just that potential and current employers can have complete access to your personal information - but also complete strangers -- and worse, creepy ex-High School kids. Try to remember this as you put any of your personal or inappropriate information online.

I, however, shall carry on.

No comments: