Jun 14, 2007

Surf's Up remembered

Perhaps it was about ten years ago,
a hot and sticky Central Illinois summer day,
Killre entered the room - showing me a tape,
and then playing on the room's dusty stereo,

A wonderful song.

Listen, listen... listen.
The lyrics - Columnated ruins domino

After three full stanzas, waiting for the payoff.
A grin, waiting for my response.

"Surf's up, hmmm mmm...."

Ah, Beach Boys! Wait, what!

The grin bears teeth. He got it. Mind blown.

I mention this story because it has been on my mind quite often lately,
for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I suppose it's because I tend to use the Beach Boys back catalog to lulabye my baby girl to sleep. Starting with Surfer Girl, and ending with Wouldn't it Be Nice.

I purchased the Rockabye Album - Beach Boys. Perhaps you'll recall my previous post on the subject, featuring the Radiohead covers? The album is Beach Boy songs, but in a 'Baby' remix. Here's a link to alow you to listen to samples. In the meantime, I have had to learn the lyrics - rather than just sing along. I have to say it's easier for me to hit the register of Al Jardine than Thom Yorke. And even still, it's more of a hum in spots.
Ruins domino - yeah, ah, not so much.

The album is perfect, however I still have trouble with 'Caroline No', since I never seem to know when to come in.

Now, the question of the day is whatever happened to Al Jardine and Brian Wilson's intentionally childish "Loop de Loop" collaboration? Given the success of the Rockabye album (it's found on Amazon and also Costco!) isn't it time to push the dust off these tapes?

No comments: