Jun 21, 2011

Sun Worship - Happy Solstice

Sun worship, I'd say, is not the most basic form of religious expression, but in fact, the purist.

Worship or adoration of the star that sits smack dab in the center of our solar system as the primary symbol of the deity as the most glorious object in nature is a pretty nice idea. Well it does give all life on Earth it's source of light and heat - and in plants, it's food.

Oh, it's easy to laugh off the primative folks in loin cloths or lifting up pyramids in the desert to be unsophisticated rubes killing lambs to make sure the sun rises tomorrow. I mean, where are their funny hats and collection plates?

But to the core, it is the purist expression of thanks to worship a massive ball nuclear hydrogen fireball.

Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, the Aztecs and the Incas of Peru were down with looking up. The Sun played a big part of the religions of Greece and Rome, and a pile of Native Americans, the Druids of England, and in Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Mithraism, and Buddhism. And, if you really want to get technical, Christians seem to care about the winter solstice quite a bit too.

Now if you're wandering around looking to find "The Creator", just look UP, stupid. Every atom of your body was created in the sun’s atomic furnace. We're all made of stars. Oooooo.

Now if you want to get super fancy, we, the sun and everything in our galactic neighborhood was probably created by a supernova 7 billion years ago, but that would mean that we're also all apart of the original Bang, and the universe as a whole -- which pisses people off, because they think they're special.

But, here, I'll let someone more elequent explain it.
‘I’ve begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same rate.
~George Carlin - US comedian, satirist and free speech activist
So is sunscreen Blasphemous? Hmmm...?

No comments: