May 2, 2009

Where's Garfield? I don't get it...

Perhaps, dear readers, you'll remember some comic strips and web sites I recommended since the comics in [so-called] newspapers were shrinking and - oh yeah - sucking?

One particular recommendation was Garfield without Garfield.

Again, this is a brilliant strip that gives an otherwise banal Garfield strips an air of artistic brilliance. Jim Davis (the creator of Garfield) has embraced Walsh's work and creativity, eventually leading onto the release of this book...

And then, that leads us to a review on Amazon...

9 of 195 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Where is he?, February 14, 2009
i purchased this book, thinking it was another garfield book. I am a collector, and i just wanted a new garfield book to read.
little did i know i was about to step into a world i don't want to know.

THERE IS NO GARFIELD IN THESE STRIPS.

WHAT?!??!?!?!? WHY???????????

I guess it goes without saying i returned the book.

don't buy it. the best part is missing.
WHAT THE F?!?!!?!?

I'm picturing this reviewer as someone who really does have a collection of over 50 tomes of Garfield on his bookcase. He has a window cling of Garfield, the same one he had in the 80's still stuck in his 91' Stanza. And he's a troll, and also serious. Deadly serious.

Meantime, I'm very much impressed with the fact that Jim Davis allowed the G-G book to be released rather than calling for litigation.

Here's an interview I found with Dan Walsh - the Photoshop guy who 'came up with' G-G.

C.L.: How did you get the idea for Garfield Minus Garfield?

D.W.: I didn’t! The idea had been floating around on message boards for a couple years before I started posting them. I wasn’t the first person to come up with the premise for Garfield Minus Garfield, but I think it’s fair to say I did champion and popularize it. As far I know, I was the first person to create a site devoted to it. It’s pretty much impossible to find who did it first—believe me, I’ve tried.


Well anyway, thought you'd get a kick out of the follow up.

1 comment:

WaffleMan said...

Wow, that's like, extra stupid retarded.