May 26, 2009

Burris Caught Offering a Check to Blagojevich

In a SHOCKING development in our favorite show, a transcript of a secretly recorded phone call between the brother of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich and now-soon-not-to-be-U.S. Sen. Roland Burris was released in federal court today, a call in which Burris, then seeking the Senate seat, was recorded offering the Blagojevich campaign a campaign check.

"I know I could give him a check," Burris said. "Myself."

But in the same call, Burris tells Robert Blagojevich he is concerned he and Rod Blagojevich will "catch hell."

"And if I do get appointed that means I bought it," Burris said.

"And, and God knows number one, I, I wanna help Rod," Burris says later in the call. "Number two, I also wanna, you know, hope I get a consideration to get that appointment."

Burris was recorded saying the timing would be crucial to how the fundraising would be perceived.

"And however that goes, ah, it would dictate, ah, you know how the press treats it," he said.

"Understand," Rob Blagojevich answered.

"'Cause man, I, I will be, you know we both would be profiled," Burris continued. "And we don't need that."

A federal judge on Tuesday gave prosecutors permission to turn over the recorded conversation to the Senate Ethics Committee, which has launched a review of Burris's conduct prior to his appointment by Blagojevich. The Smoke Monster already asked, but Burris kind of lied to ole' Smokie.


Burris did not specifically mention offering Blagojevich a check in affidavits he filed in Springfield in connection with hearings on Blagojevich's impeachment. On a "good will" tour around the state in February, Burris addressed a conversation he had with Blagojevich's brother, Robert, during the fall timeframe.


"So some time shortly after Obama was elected, the brother called," Burris said then. "And now in the meantime, I'd talked to some people about trying to see if we could put a fundraiser on. Nobody was -- they said we aren't giving money to the governor. And I said, 'OK, you know, I can't tell them what to do with their money.'


"So when the [governor's] brother called me back, I said, 'Well, look Rob ... I can't raise any money from my friends. I said, maybe my partner and I, you can talk this over and see, could we go to some other people that we might be able to talk to that would help us out if we give -- because we give a fundraiser in the law office, nobody going to show up. We'll probably have a thousand dollars for you or something to that effect.'"


Read the order allowing the government to turn over Burris' recorded conversation HERE.


Read the government motion and transcript of the secretly recorded phone call HERE.


No word if the nuclear device that was detonated at the bottom of Starved Rock will place the castaways into a new 'alternate' or new timeline yet - or if they'll have the memories of the island. Since the producers used the same technique in the Star Trek reboot, I think it's safe to assume that the people that were 'touched' by Governor Quinn will now be on the Ajira flight - like they were supposed to be... all along. Except for Juliet. Governor Quinn never touched her, and if she never remembers meeting James, then her wish will have been fullfilled.

No comments: