Oct 1, 2008

October Baseball

I'm still waiting to hear from J from Chi's take on who made it, who he predicted, and whatnot-
but I'd like to offer my take on Round One of October Baseball... oh, and Fred Snyder too. If we can find him.

National League

Based on the numbers, Cubs ought to take Dodger's lunch money. .602 PCT to Dodger's limp .519. Again the West is allowed to play due to ancient baseball treaty obligations. Consider that there were seven teams that out performed the Dodgers in the National League. Philly, NY Mets, Florida, Chicago, Milwaukee, Houston and St. Louis all had better numbers than the Dodgers. However, in the playoffs, things can get silly. The intangible for the Cubs point to Manny. He's either going to shut up, and help - or piss 'em off, just like so many other teams he's been on before. The guy is to team unity akin to pissing in the Gatoraid. Cubbies in five.

Milwaukee fought and limped into the Wild Card spot. I'll give them one win. They lose to Philly in a four game series.

Now on to that "other" League.

Last night the White Sox and Twins were forced to see who would win the AL Central. Somehow the White Sox scraped out a run between them, and now Chicago gets another team into the playoffs. First time that's happened in 102 years.
I am not expecting an 'El Series' based on the numbers and the pitching. Bats only get you into the playoffs. Pitching wins them. Tampon - er, Tampa will take the Sox in 4. Tampa ended .599 Sox .546. I know regular season numbers aren't a great indicator of win in the playoffs. However, I based my prediction of a 1-2-3 'yer out for the Bubs last year. It didn't disappoint me to be spot on. I remember OneF yelling at me for falling off the bandwagon when everyone else was climbing aboard. He had to apologize.

Red Sox and Angels are the better match-up in the ALDS. Ever since I read Moneyball I've been a fan of the Angels organization. This one will be a gem to watch, and harder to predict. It'll go for five for sure. I'm going to say Angels. Why? Again, just based on final numbers. Angels .617 to Boston's .586.

Disagree? Fine. Yell and scream at me in the comments bar- but you have to show your work. I did.

Once we see how these chips fall, I'll play again in round two.

No comments: