Mar 15, 2008

Beware the Ides of March

In the Roman calendar, the term ides was used for the 15th day of the months of March, May, July, and October, and the 13th day of the other 8 months.

In modern times, the term Ides of March (Latin Idus Martiae) is best known as the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated, in 44 BC, the story of which was famously retold in William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar. The term has come to be used as a metaphor for impending doom.

I have, also, historically, had really crappy Ides of Marches in my time. I crashed my car, had serious family issues, probably got dumped, and was killed by the Senate on previous Ides. I'll be takin' it rather easy today -- probably trying to figure out how to rig my house into an internet delivery device for my television. I mean, how hard is electrical engineering anyway?

No comments: