Jan 8, 2008

New Hampshire - Same as the Old

I would like to start my little prediction thread thingy here but doing something I never thought I would do, I am going to defend Hillary Clinton. True this.

Yesterday there was a tremendous amount of airplay of Hillary almost crying at some event or other. Now I love a good cry and a political cry is a rare bird indeed. Normally, you would see an athlete-cry or a celebrity-cry but a political-cry? As I said, a rare bird. And, probably, for good reason. You don't need a leader that tears up during Terms of Endearment. It makes it harder negotiate with terrorists. However, Hillary was not crying. Not in this way, anyway.

I thought her little speech that she gave was the most honest, inspirational, and true I have ever heard Hillary sound. Emotions do have a place when you are discussing the condition of the country and where it is heading. And when you discuss emotions with the direction that the country is heading in and sadness is leads in the polls. I see nothing wrong and a lot of things right in what she said. Still hope not to have to vote for her but this was her best moment for me.

Conversely, John Edwards (candidate I prefer) was a clown. He noted that the country needed a "tougher" person in the presidency. The reason I always like Sen. Edwards was that he seemed to at least realize that the country could be better. He seemed to passionately want change. He holds dying babies to show how shitty the health care system is. He tells stories of the infirmed and unfortunate and now I am to believe that he never cried while on the campaign trail. If so, this man is inhuman.

In both cases I am assuming there were mistakes made by all due to long hours on the campaign trail, lack of sleep, and having to use the word "synergy" repeatedly in stump speeches. But I refuse to believe that in 24 hours Hillary became human and John became heartless.

Predictions:

Dem: Obama, Edwards, Clinton
Rep: McCain, Romney, Huckabee

No comments: