Jan 6, 2008

Congressman donates salary to charity

Days before filing for re-election, Rep. John Yarmuth (D) is giving away money. His own. (original story)

In fact, everything the government paid the 3rd District Democrat for last year's work is going to go to 38 Louisville-area community groups. A bit more than $120,000 in after-tax income.

"It's something I promised to do during the (2006) campaign," Yarmuth said in an interview. "And I truly value the notion of public service. I'm in the fortunate enough position that I don't need the salary."

"I consider it a great honor to (serve in the House) and not reap any financial benefit." He added with a chuckle: "I did get my health insurance paid for."

Don't worry folks, in his 2006 financial disclosure report, filed with the House, Yarmuth showed assets worth at least $3.6 million, with annual income and royalties ranging from $1 million to $5 million from stock in Sonny's Restaurants.

It could not be determined how many other lawmakers, if any, gave away their annual salaries to charities.

I wouldn't be too surprised if you stopped reading after, "days before filing for re-election..." but it still is pretty cool. I'd be more impressed if he just gave it back to the government. Nah, they'd just spend it on a toilet seat.

No comments: