Oct 19, 2007

Allow me to retort

Dear OneF,
Ahem. I never said that government was bad, and that all taxes are bad. That would be down right Libertarian of me.

However, if you had bothered to read the article that I spent time to write and annotate with notes and links to sources, you would see that I put effort into explaining my position against:

1) raising taxes automatically...
2) raising taxes on an already heavily taxed city, state and also county population.
-- If all goes through without a fight, (which it will) Chicago will have the highest taxes in the country. The proposed taxes add 1 Billion NEW taxes on top of the hefty bags of cash they're already raking in.
3) raising taxes without cutting - in fact growing - where there is already a budget shortfall.
4) raising taxes to fund the corruption, cronies, appointees and overall waste of the people who have been in power without a population with the guts to vote them out of office.

You then wrote this:
"But, F," I hear you say, "Those things suck right now."

True, my little wing-nut, true. But they mostly suck because the Republicans CUT ALL THE F*CKING FUNDS TO THEM.

"Fine, F," says Cap'n, "then we should just get rid of those items and let people pay for them out of their own pocket."
I never said those things. Please cutn'paste where I said those words.

And What Republicans? The County Board Republicans? The one Alderman who's a Republican? The Republicans in the State house? All ten of them cut the funds? And I never said anyone should pay for [I assume government services?] out of pocket.
Again, that's anarchy or Libertarianism, what ever you want to call it.
The last Republican in Illinois was George Ryan - whom I mentioned - and he personally burned down the entire Republican party.

I'm sorry you're having a bad day - but please don't make sh*t up and attribute me to the quote. That's libel, or something fancy that adults sue each other over.


PS - "Urkel" is what Todd Stroger's friends and family nicknamed him. I feel that it's in my right to call him that too, since I'm funding his pension.

3 comments:

One F said...

Chicago is making up for lost revenue from the federal government. That is a lot of money. I will cite you sources and what we were "penalized"for which removed much of our funding. These items are related.

As for your "facts." The commission will reject his sales tax for many of the reasons that you claimed. He is allowed to submit his proposition as many times as he would like. Mr. Reid should think about this strategy for S CHIP.

Property taxes were in theory to keep the forest preserves. Something that I am not comfortable with. I would rather they tax the golf courses that eat into the forest preserves but then the rich would get angry and they make TV ads. One way or another I would not get worked up about it. Little Stroke submitted it too late for processing for the next financial year.

"raising taxes without cutting - in fact growing - where there is already a budget shortfall."

I do not know how to respond to this. Budget shortfalls need more money. There is not enough. It is a shortfall.

I have the guts to vote these people out. In fact, I have voted against Daley (or left it blank) since Meigs. The problem is a lack of good candidates. Stroger got in on a technicality. He is a nuisance and has few political friends. I doubt he makes it out of a primary.

I also believe that these damned Olympics that we are trying so desperately to get has something to do with this. Chicago has been opportunistic since 1896 in such matters.

I was unaware that Stroger was nicknamed Urkel. You did make me aware in a non-racist way that "Urkel be Raisin' my taxes" however.

One F said...

P.S. I love this part:

"I'm sorry you're having a bad day - but please don't make sh*t up and attribute me to the quote. That's libel, or something fancy that adults sue each other over."

I am having a fine day, you libelous lout. ;))

One F said...

P.P.S.

Also, lest anyone be confused.

The Cap'n never actually said those lines I quoted. I imagined that this would be his defense and I attempted to cut him off at the pass. I incorrectly assumed he was angry about paying additional taxes.