Sep 4, 2006

The Beachles

Because technology allows a thing does not, necessarily, mean that such a thing should be done.

I present this case, as the following to support my argument.

The following link is a discussion of McCartney and Wilson's take on their own work and how they had pushed each other. Creatively.

The melding of these two albums - track for track, with almost no regard for such trivial elements as rhythm, melody, or even common sense comes to my ear as delecate as the melding of a Ford Festiva and a MACK truck.

As the creator of such an abstract piece, Clayton Counts at least recognizes how the mere existence of such a work could create a rift in the time-space continuum. And mounds and mounds of hate mail that is not spelled correctly. My vision is of someone mashing the keys so hard with blurred rage that only 45% of the words are even coherent. Much like track 3, 'That's not Lucy.'

So the question posed, can Mr. Counts attempt a Smile/White Album? Why not glue a monkey head onto a donkey? We can do it. We have the technology.

Is it ethical?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I am Clayton Counts, and I agree with some of what you say. This record is not an easy listen. But let us not be too hasty... I have received very little hatemail; about twenty messages (from the same four people) versus the many examples of positive feedback left on blogs such as your own. When I first decided to make this record, I could have gone several ways with it. To be frank, I didn't want to make something that was so easily digestible, although I am quite capable of doing just that. If you'd like to hear demonstrations of these abilities, a quick trip around my website should do the trick. The Beatles themselves had songs that were considered too noisy and abstract for the time. This is a novelty record, a noise record, whatever you want to call it, but it's obvious to anyone who listens to it that it didn't happen by accident, or overnight. I should also mention that Karlheinz Stockhausen is featured on the cover of "Sgt. Pepper's." Thanks for the link, and best wishes.

Killre said...

Yes, yes... but where are the goats?