Feb 2, 2006

Heart Attack

After the new year I made my annual attempt to get back into shape. I do this every year but I felt a touch more determined this time. In fact, last Friday was my first day below 200 pounds in about three years. It basically comes down to eating under 1000 calories a day and the sweet, sweet magic of Tae-Bo. (BTW, is Shelly Billy's adopted daughter or can a black man father a white child? The Blasphemes investigative crew will be on that next). Things were going swimmingly.

Two weeks ago, I felt a pain in my chest. A bad pain. A real bad pain. The pain lasted for a few days. On more than one occasion I dialed 9-1 and left of the last 1 so I would only have one number to dial if I dropped in a chest-squeezing, sweating hump of premature death. If the bad pain didn't last so long, I would have been in the hospital (or morgue).

I spent much of the following days on WebMD convinced that I had every possible heart condition that I read about. As I read each one that was the one that I had. I had nightmares about every slice of deep dish pizza I ever consumed. I thought about the hours of not moving on my couch making CJ from GTA run. All while laying down (it's a lot of work to sit upright). I cringed thinking about the holiday "treats" that my coworkers brought in that I ate. I don't even like fruitcake.

After two days I set up an appointment with my doctor. She is a very nice lady with two dogs that likes to tell me how fat I am. (I saw her once at a Brian Wilson show and she actually said, "Oh, now we are not exercising and drinking.") She was available the following Monday. A week away. The pain persisted. I started calling her and begging for an earlier time. I got one on Friday.

She asked her questions and then had me take off my shirt for an EKG. I don't know the professionalism of this but she did comment on my slimmer belly. Do you think she actually remembers me topless from two years ago when I last took off my shirt in front of her? Do all my doctors. Does my fat ass leave that much of an impression? Was she amazed by the man-tits that I had developed? I assume so because my belly is still big but the man-tits are whittling down. Maybe that is what she meant but couldn't find the appropriate medical word for man-tit.

I laid down and metal post-it notes were stuck to my chest, underarm, and ankles. Alligator clamps hooked up to a machine were attached to them. Instructions are to breath normally. I tried as best as a man having a panic attack can. I am aware that within an hour I will be in the ER preparing for my septuple bypass. I make a deal with myself. If I behave and make it through the surgery without harassing the medical staff, I will treat myself to a Michaels taco pizza.

The machine spits out a very small (yet expensive) piece of paper with the famous heart-line tick marks on it. She looks it over, looks at me, and looks at the paper again. I decide that I am glad that I am not a doctor. I would hate to break it to 35 year old men that they are about to die. I would also hate to see fat 35 year old men topless.

"Well," the doctor says, "looks like a very healthy heart."

Confused, I inform her that she has to be wrong. Could it be that the twelve aspirin a day regimen that I had put myself on threw the test? No, but she recommends I stop consuming aspirin like tic-tacs. Could the fact that I have been exercising for three weeks have tricked the CPU into believing that my heart was healthier than it was. No, but keep it up you big Billy-band wearing, Tae-Bo punching, girly man. F, relax, it's heartburn.

I have had heartburn before. At least I thought I had had heartburn before. I'd chew a Tums or two and I am on my merry way to a spicy bowl of Green Curry. Never did I think that heartburn could be a crippling painful, frightening, horrible event that could make a grown man weep and have second thoughts about how he lived his life. The phrase "heartburn" had always confused me before. I understand now.

I won't go into the exact kind of "burn" I have. I won't bore you with my medications I had to take. Suffice it to say I am alive and better now. The meds stopped today. I have decided to keep the diet and exercise. The good part is that I spend more time with my wife now. I didn't realize that life is short and I should make the most out of it. I didn't come to the conclusion that every moment is precious. I didn't have an epiphany that love is all we have in this crazy world. No, I simply lost my man-tits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are not the title charactor to these lyrics song:
"Drink A Six Pack And Then You Play Som Ball
Walking Down The Stairs And Then He Starts To Fall
Add On Two Joints And Then He Starts To Sweat
Two Hundred (Seventy) Five Punds That You Can't Forget"

smussyolay said...

only if you live in the suburbs, holly.

gee, can you tell i'm going back through your archives, f?