Jan 12, 2006

A Filthy Beat

I am in a poker league. No, poker has not become suddenly legal in IL, it is not for money (technically). The deal is that the first and second places get gift certificates where the tourny is being played and third gets movie tickets. More importantly, The top six of each tournament get points. The top ten points getters by the end of a four month period get to play in a tournament where the winner gets round trip tickets and accommodation to Vegas. Pretty sweet for a free league.

I learned of the league late (early Nov.) but still managed to get near the top of the points ranking (27th as of this writing). I was playing Wednesday and figured out that the only way to get in contention was a) to win and b) to have others lose. There were 7 people left and one was a 10th place contestant. I was in the big blind and got the following hand:

my hand: Qh3h

Everyone limped in to me and I checked. The flop came: Kh3cKs. And everyone checked as did I.

The turn came: Qh

Good news! I assumed that there were no Kings on the table and my two pair went from 3's to Queens. I checked to "slowplay" and try to lure someone into bluffing at me. My dream came true. The "leaderboard" guy went all-in. He had me beat in chips but I could have hurt him and put myself in a good place. Everyone folded to me. I called. We flip the cards and amazingly he shows: As6c. I am a 90 someodd favorite. Then the river:

Ad

Luckily, the season starts next wee. If Chicago residents are interested, here is the web site.

1 comment:

smussyolay said...

yeah, i went to that website, and it sucks...i can't get to any of the information: to the sign up, to the calendar, to the rules, to the contact. what gives, one f?